Recent Photos

Get the flash player here: http://www.adobe.com/flashplayer

Friday, February 25, 2011

Student Dr. Miguel Teixeira and Ms. Foote

Miguel and are are practically real adults now. He introduces himself as "Student Dr. Miguel Teixeira" and I'm "Ms. Foote". The only thing that could make us more legitimate than those titles is marriage-- married people always seem so old and mature. That will come soon too.

Miguel is in his second term of Medical School at the University of Utah. Along with lectures, he was in the cadaver lab once a week last semester and now he is assigned to clinics in Salt Lake and Toele. We're still working on the balance between studying and having fun (meaning we need to study more and have less fun) but Miguel is loving school and is doing well.

He catches the train just across the street from his apartment. Not a bad view from the trax station!:


Miguel spends 4 hours a day in this lecture hall with the 81 other members of his class (except those who skip class to ski). Academia is thrilling to him and he is fully convinced that he wants to teach at medical school along with his practice.

This summer, Miguel will be researching at the Moran Eye Center. He submitted a grant proposal a few weeks ago and we're waiting to find out if he gets it. If so, he'll be studying eye diseases caused by diabetes by creating a mouse that has the same disease. Such studies are now done on monkeys, so it's huge if he can breed a mouse with the disease. That's as much as I can say about that, because that's as much as I understand.


My job is much simpler to explain...
From 7:15-2:45 I am Ms. Foote and Lehi High School. I'm student teaching Algebra II and College Prep (which is like pre-pre-calculus as far as I can tell). I've learned a lot, but more than anything I've learned that I'm really ready to have my own classroom! I didn't like high school much, and now I remember why, but teaching is a lot of fun. It's definitely a challenge to convince kids that they care about math, but I like challenges.

After school I go to Waterford School where I work as a math tutor for third and fifth grade girls. We're working on multiplication of mulit-digit numbers and converting decimals to percentages. It's very different from working with the high school students but I love working one-on-one with the kids and it's fun to teach elementary school math. After I'm done student teaching, I will get more students so I might get back into high school math. Either way, it's lots of fun.

0 comments:

Official BYU News

BYU Events - Arts

  © Blogger template 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP